Sunday, January 24, 2010

baking therapy

I usually bake a sweet treat every weekend. And while I know this is not exactly the healthiest habit, it makes me happy. Sometimes I convince myself that Peter is the one wanting the cookies or cake or brownies. That I am baking them for him. But no, most of the time it is me. Not to say that I pig out immediately after. I dont. And not to say Peter does not appreciate the fruits of my labor. He does (and he usually takes them to work) But it is more the act of finding a recipe, measuring, creating, making a mess, and filling my house with delicious smell that forces me to make these goodies. Its relaxing and just what I need before another busy week begins. I am sure many of you share my sentiments.

Sometimes its new recipes. Other times its the tried and true ones.

Here is what I made this weekend. A favorite in our house.



molasses cookies
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 1/2 t. ground ginger
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. salt
12 T softened butter
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. sugar
1 egg yolk
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. molasses
- Mix dry ingredients
- Beat butter with sugars (brown and white)
- Add yolk and vanilla, combine
- Add molasses, combine
- Add flour mixture
- Scoop dough, roll into ball and coat in sugar
- Bake at 375 for 10-11 minutes *do not overbake!



And please tell me I am not the only one whose countertop looks like this during the process.

1 comment:

Momma D said...

I LOVE molasses cookies. However, Don is NOT a fan. Therefore I am not reading your recipe because then I won't want to make them. I also don't buy them because either way, I would eat them. Yes. Every. Single. One. I'm just sayin'