Wednesday, April 29, 2009

floor to ceiling

When I was in Portland my husband started a house project. Unbeknown to me, as I was flying north, he was working at home tackling a project we had talked about since we moved in. When I landed, he sent me a picture of what he had been up to.



Scraping the dreaded popcorn ceiling! (and sanding, and spackling, and priming, and painting) It baffles me why this stuff was so popular. It especially stings knowing this horrible substance was not original to our house.

So, what do you do when you have dirty fiber particles all over your carpet???





You rip it up, of course!

Surprise discovery...these linoleum tiles underneath the carpet. They basically look like barf.



So now that you have bare, ridiculously dusty and dirty concrete floors, one must take immediate action.

So for the past few days a crew of skilled laborers (aka Peter.Dave.Jake)have been busy doing this...








And here is the result!







I LOVE it. The new flooring runs through the entry, to our front room, to the family room, and the kitchen. This was something we wanted to do since we moved in and fittingly, we tackled this project on our first anniversary of living here. I am sooo thankful for the guys hard work. Seriously, they were great and took their jobs very seriously.

I cant wait to install the baseboards for a totally finished look!

Just for a reference...here are a couple pics from when we first looked at the house.



9 comments:

Angie said...

Ah! Looks so great! LOVE the final look - those boys did an amazing job :)

allie said...

Wow!! That looks so great!

Olive Oyl said...

It looks AMZING! Your kitchen is making me DROOL!!! I can't wait to see it in person!!

And, on a side note, PLEASE tell you me you saved that spinning wheel and you will be sheering sheep this winter and spinning your own thread to make your own cloth to then make your own clothes. Please, PLEASE tell me that you saved it... :)

Sra. Brooks said...

Oh my gosh! You are so sneaky...I didn't even know you were doing this. It looks fantastic!

Sharon said...

Wow is all I can say! What an improvement. I must stop by and see it live and in person.

Toni said...

Thanks ladies! You are are welcome to come over anytime (please do!). I cant promise it will be dust free yet, but I can promise the disgusting rose carpet is gone. Sadly, the spinning wheel is also gone. We tried to negotiate into the sale, but it was just too precious to the owners. No fear though, I am knitting you all sweaters by hand.

Vanessa, Vanessa Noel Events said...

it looks so good! and thanks for the tips! we got our flooring yesterday and i have all those special do dads you told me to get. saturday is the big day!!! crossing our fingers ;)

Elliott's said...

Toni, Your floors look great! Isn't it nice having a handy husband?

Live a Colorful Life said...

Wowsers! What a beautiful makeover. Hey, you should send it to "This Young House." Seriously. They post before and afters like this all the time. Seriouly. Send.It.