Saturday, July 2, 2011

philadelphia: a summary

I dont really talk about my job on this here blog. And that is pretty intentional. One, because although its a great job and I am super thankful, its not really fun blog material. And two, when I get home after working all day, I usually like to ignore the fact that I even have a job.

I travel for work a few times a year. And sometimes, my job takes me to fun places. And sometimes, it does not.

This is the story of the latter.

I spent the last week in Philadelphia. And I (multiple times) had to resist the urge to break out in the Fresh Prince theme song. Everyone now! In west Philadelphia born and raised.....

Overall, although the actual work part of the trip was successful, I did not enjoy Philadelphia. It was humid, crowded, dirty, and sorta trashy. And that is my expert opinion. I am fully aware I stuck to a small radius around downtown and I am sure there are lovely areas of the city. But this is my blog and I can write whatever I want.

All I am sayin' is no wonder the Fresh Prince whistled for a cab to Bel Air.

Here are some cell phone pics. Feel free to use this as your official travel guide to the city. I include lots of detail and honest reviews.

I think this is City Hall. I think.

I had a crappy salad here. I dont remember the name.

This building is probably historic. Dont quote me on that, though.

This was the view out of my hotel room. I think this is William Penn. The most famous Philadelphian. After Ben Franklin. And Will Smith, of course.

This was a nice park. We had dinner at a nice restaurant across the street. I had roasted red pepper gazpacho. It was lovely. And then a huge cockroach proceeded to crawl across the back of my seat. I screamed and had nightmares all week.

Oh! There was one thing I did like. Reading Terminal Market.
Its a large, indoor food market with fresh farmer's produce stands, bakeries, and many different food vendors. There were a number of Amish vendors as well. And I dont know if you know, but I love Amish people. And because I love them, I know they do not like their picture being taken. So I didnt. Just visualize adorable teenage girls in bonnets selling homebaked goods.






By the end of the week, my feet hurt, I was tired of smelling garbage everywhere, and I wanted to come home. So what does one do when they are feeling pathetic and sorry for themselves?

They eat a giant frozen yogurt in bed for dinner and watch trashy tv. My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding, anyone?

4 comments:

Paul Davison said...

I've never been to Philly, but I've always had this impression that it would be a horrible place to be.

Thanks for confirming that.

Olive Oyl said...

This was the best post ever. you crack me up with your vast knowledge of Philly and all it has to offer. :)


glad you are back friend. i don't like when you leave me. :(

Laura Thiessen said...

your expertise is much appreciated. I especially appreciate knowing where the cockroaches are at all times - so that I can avoid them! ew. And now that I know they're in Philadelphia I'll just pass.

funny post. great photos.

Vanessa, Vanessa Noel Events said...

Philly blows, I agree! I had a very similar experience. I don't think girls like us get along well with cities like that.