I love caramel corn. My grammie loved it too. One of my favorite memories of her was always visiting the caramel corn store in the Modesto mall. We had to stop there. Every time we were in town. And we had to get the largest bag of fresh caramel corn.
And then we had to buy a second bag to make sure we would have some when we got home. Because the first bag never lasted that long.
Lucky for me, my mother-in-law has a great caramel corn recipe. Its simple, classic, and reminds me of my grammie.
Hope you like it too!
- Pop 6 qts. popcorn
- Divide popcorn between 2 foil covered, sprayed baking pans
- Melt butter, add brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil without stirring for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat, add baking soda and vanilla. Try not to lick the spoon. No really, dont even touch your pinky finger on it. Its hot. I know this from experience.
- Stir caramel over popcorn. Mix well
- Bake at 250 for one hour. Stirring every 15 minutes.
- Let cool a bit, break apart, and put in air tight container. If you can resist eating all of it at once. Difficult.
Sue's Baked Caramel Corn
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup karo syrup, light or dark
1 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
6 qts popcorn
**you can also add nuts if you like. our preference: almonds.